Beacara Boa, Marylou Goldrosen, Liliann Ling, and Sandrine Han
- 2012 NAEA National Convention Call for Presentations: March 1-4, 2012 in New York City, New York at the Hilton New York and Sheraton New York Hotels, PRESENTATION PROPOSALS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TIME MAY 15, 2011 for more information: https://naea.eventready.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=papers.login&event_id=1443
- International Performing Arts Conferences - theatre, dance, music, visual and multimedia art: Apply for the Conference dates 2011: May 20 – 24 http://www.iugte.com/projects/conf-may August 25 - 29 http://www.iugte.com/projects/conf-aug December 17 – 21 http://www.iugte.com/projects/conf-dec
- New Juried Book Competition: www.open2interpretation.com/ Open to Interpretation is now calling on photographers to submit images for consideration in a juried book competition. Open Call for Entries for All Photographers Photography Submissions Open: March 8, 2011
- LGBT Youth Artist Profiles: InSEA members are encouraged to electronically submit proposals for short LGBT Youth artist profiles (student artists in grades K-22 -- including those pursuing graduate studies), and are also encouraged to collaborative develop such essays with students (youth writing about themselves or peers). For more information, please visit: http://www.inaea.org/post/2011/03/27/LGBT-Youth-Artist-Profiles.aspx
- 2011 International Performing Arts Lab and Conference: May 17 – 24, 2011 at Retzhof Educational Institute Leitring bei Leibnitz, Austria for program details, please visit: http://www.iugte.com/projects/physicaltheatre or http://www.iugte.com/projects/conf-may/prog-may
- 2ND KUMASI BIENNIAL SYMPOSIUM: COMMUNITY ARTS IN FOCUS : Date: July 16 - August 6, 2011
Venue: Kumasi and the Nearby Village of Abetenim in Ashanti Region of Ghana, for more information: http://www.inaea.org/post/2011/04/01/2ND-KUMASI-BIENNIAL-SYMPOSIUM-COMMUNITY-ARTS-IN-FOCUS.aspx
- SL gathering in RL: I am planning to have our RL meeting at the InSEA conference. Because I don’t know the conference schedule yet, I am not able to give the date and time yet. But if you are coming to InSEA conference in Budapest, please look for us!
DISCUSSION: Virtual worlds are reconstructing different country landmarks. Do these reconstructed places help us understanding other culture or do these places form another kind of stereotype in our mind?
Marylou Goldrosen: To me Fantasy China on SL was stereotype view, but Taiwanese Copsplay Club Meeting Building & Meetings are unique
Sandrine Han: so, it is depends on different builders or owners of the group?
Marylou Goldrosen: My doctoral students from Taiwan interviewed owners
Marylou Goldrosen: Interviewing the owners and avatars help us to understand the culture
Sandrine Han: do you think any of the builders of a landmark is not from the landmark location, and they might not even know the original culture?
Marylou Goldrosen: Some --like the ones in Paris
Marylou Goldrosen: Some are designing playgrounds
Sandrine Han: have you been to a place in RL, and visit there in SL? what do you feel about those places? any differences? how?
Liliann Ling: I think some of them build the places for fantasy play
Marylou Goldrosen: In my searches --I found some silly places --not true Asian places
Liliann Ling: The only thing I can think of is Dresden Gallery
Beacara Boa: Dresden Gallery in SL is very real
Marylou Goldrosen: I found DG as believeable --a good trial
Liliann Ling: I think the SL build of Dresden gallery is very close to real
Beacara Boa: having visited the place in SL you'll find the sistina in Dresden at once
Liliann Ling: After I visist Dresden Gallery in RL I found the SL gallery, and was so suprised that I feel I am there again when walking in the SL gallery
Sandrine Han: do you think the gallery gave you a preview, and helped you to understand the real one when you were there?
Beacara Boa: yes sure. a good orientation
Liliann Ling: I think the real one helps me navigate the SL one :P
Marylou Goldrosen: The SIstine Chapel on Vassar Island is done well
Marylou Goldrosen: I went to the SIstine Chapel twice and yes the SL one is believable
Sandrine Han: do you think these places in SL makes you more excited when you were in the real place?
Sandrine Han: so, the SL feeling helps the RL feeling, and RL helps the SL feeling as well?
Liliann Ling: certainly
Sandrine Han: do you think travel in SL will motivate you to travel in RL?
Liliann Ling: I am not sure about that. I think most people know some famous place before come to SL and the reason they visit it in RL is mostly about time and money
Marylou Goldrosen: Both ways --if we can afford it and it is safe to travel
FIELD TRIP: PARIS http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Paris%201900/36/142/27
The critical question is: when you are being places like this in SL, what are you thinking, what are you feeling, and what are you learning? Do you think things you can see here are authentic? Without critical looking, do you notice what is in your mind?
Next meeting time: May 7th, 8 AM SL time= 8AM PST, 9AM MST, 10 AM CST, 11 AM EST, Sydney=1:00; Frankfurt=17:00; Taipei=23:00. You are very welcome to join us!